Saturday, September 21, 2013

Early Impressions of Wind Waker HD

So I went out and got myself not only a Wii U (expect me to give my opinions on it in a later post), but I also got myself the Deluxe version that comes with Wind Waker HD. The game is changed up a bit, but is largely the same. Be advised that there will be minor spoilers ahead.

The first thing you notice is the graphics. While I was never a huge fan of the art style in Wind Waker, I never disliked it either, and at the same time I feel like it has held up better than any other game in the series. The graphics in this have helped me realize that there were so many things I didn't even know I was missing. They're unbelievably sharp, and just much more detailed. The biggest thing to me is that they alleviate some of that flat feeling you got from the original. The original often looked almost like it was a 2D game where you could move in 3 dimensions. However, there is much more depth in this version. While it's still not a ton, there's still a clear difference.

Another change that I've noticed is that the sailing does feel like it's faster in this one. I can't put my finger on it yet as to if you're moving faster or if the world has just been condensed, but either way, the sailing doesn't take very long at all in this version so far, and that was one of the biggest things that I wanted to see changed in this version, so I'm ecstatic about that.

Here's the first spoiler of any sort, and again, it's a very minor one about when you get the sail. If you would like to not see it still, just skip past this paragraph, I will make sure any reference to it is left in this paragraph and nowhere else. So, going to get the sail (last chance to look away) you normally would have been able to just go right up and buy the sail. However, in the new version they make you save Tingle before buying the sail. Also, when you save Tingle, instead of getting the Tingle tuner you get a Tingle bottle, a neat little interactive thing that lets you send messages to other players. I can see how some people would like it, but I'm not someone who is very interactive when I play video games, so I don't bother with it, but still, I think it's something that can be useful and/or fun for other players. One other thing that I'll put in this paragraph because it relates to Windfall and is another minor spoiler is that when you finish the Lenzo side quest where you take the 3 pictures for him, instead of getting a Joy Pendant you get the Deluxe Picto Box right there. However, you still can get that big firefly in the Forest Haven, and I don't know what that's for yet (haven't gotten past the earliest parts of the Forest Haven yet).

Okay, spoilers are done. The only other big change I've noticed is that there is a lot of dialogue that is different. I personally find it to be a little more funny, as there seems to be a lot of sarcastic humor and more realistic things that are said. It'll be interesting to see if some of the more important parts of the game have the dialogue changed in them at all.

So far I really like the changes that have been made. I'm sure there will be plenty more as the game goes along, and at some point I will give my thoughts on what other changes are made. As I have with this one, I'll consolidate any spoilers to one section so that people who don't want to see them have every right to move right past and not have anything spoiled for them. Anyway, on to playing more Wind Waker HD.

No comments:

Post a Comment