Monday, September 2, 2013

In Defense of the 2DS

I won't lie, I'm a huge fan of Nintendo. I grew up with Nintendo, and many of my favorite games from early in life were Nintendo games. However, I was not happy when the final information on the Wii U was announced, and to this date have not yet purchased a Wii U (the Windwaker HD version is very tantalizing though). I did get a 3DS shortly after it was released, and to be honest, I'm happy I did. I've put a lot of time in on it. However, the 2DS? What can this do for me?

Well, that's the problem that people are having when looking at it. Most of the people who are looking at the hardware are thinking of it from their own paradigm. They're looking at it as a system that offers almost nothing to it. It doesn't have the 3D option. It's bigger than any other portable system due to the hinge not being there. The graphics are not much, if at all better than what's on the Wii. How could this possibly be defended?

Well, first off, at this point, when it comes to handheld games, it's almost silly to question Nintendo. They have absolutely bulldozed everyone in their way with handheld games. They really understand what makes a good handheld system and what handheld consumers are looking for. A lot of the problems people have voiced with the 2DS have been about things that more serious gamers would be interested in.

The vast majority of the market with video games in general are not serious gamers. They're people who are looking for games to have fun with and who could care less what the definition on the game is. This is especially true in the handheld market. Handhelds have always been a generation, at very least, behind consoles. Most of the people who go after the handhelds are not looking for some high tech or complex game. They want something quick and fun. Just look at some of the highest selling games, games like the New Super Mario Bros on the DS.

It goes beyond that though, the system is not meant for people who are old enough to be writing reviews for websites. It's really not even meant for people who are even half that age. Nintendo even made it clear that it is intended for children up to about 7 years old. However, it should be good for kids up to 9 or 10. The removal of the hinge gives a great deal of added durability that can survive the average kid. The 2D graphics will help, as the 3D is not suitable for kids 7 or under. In fact, if I'm a parent I don't trust it for a couple years beyond that.

This allows the younger generation to play some of the newest portable games. The system isn't so large that it's not portable, it's still a reasonable size for a car ride. It plays all of the 3DS games, just without the 3D option, and on a much more durable system. At the same time it's at a very reasonable price that kids who are trying to get into video games can get their parents to spend quite easily once it comes to Christmas or birthday time.

The sacrifices are quite small, and the potential benefits are big when it comes to the 2DS. Nintendo adds about 4 years onto its handheld market, in an area where they could really use the extra years. On top of that, they offer a much cheaper alternative to anyone who is not interested in the 3D aspect of their 3DS. While everyone else wants to tear into them, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this winds up being a very good move for Nintendo.

No comments:

Post a Comment