Since we're less than a week away from the release of Wind Waker HD for the Wii U, I'm going to do another post on it. This one is more on the opposite end of the spectrum as the last one though. This is going to be things that I feel need to be repaired about the Gamecube classic. These are not all necessarily things I hated about the game, but things that I thought could at very least be improved on.
Now, before I go on, I must say that I have not been keeping up with what will be in the game. There's a very good chance that one or more of these things may have already been confirmed or shot down already. I'm still going to go on and say those things which I would change.
The first thing is the time of sailing. It's said that the reason it went on for so long was because of loading times. This would not surprise me at all, the Gamecube was a strong system at the time, but the game had a lot to it and such a huge world. Each square on the grid takes 1 minute to sail across, so it does make sense. However, now this is a new system, and while the graphics are going to be improved, they should still be able to not have to worry as much about the loading. I don't know if it would be easier if they just made the world more compact, or if maybe they should have the boat go faster, but there needs to be something to make the sailing faster.
The next thing I would change is along the same lines. I don't know about you guys, but I get so sick of playing the Wind's Requiem over and over when needing to change directions. Not only having to play it over and over again, but having to sit through that mini-scene that goes along with it. If it was just playing the song and picking the direction, that wouldn't be as bad, but you can't even skip the scene or anything like that. I'd prefer if there was just something you could do to make it automatic, but at least make the mini scene something that can be skipped.
Next up is the Triforce quest. Having to find the charts and then go around and dig them up is one of the worst ways to get the final item required to finish off the game. Usually this is something much more grand, but in Wind Waker it goes out with a bit of a whimper. Supposedly there was originally supposed to be another dungeon, but it got scrapped later on. I would love it if they were able to bring this dungeon back, especially if it's better than the Wind Temple. Still, the game NEEDS to have something stronger leading up to Hyrule Castle.
I just made mention of the Wind Temple. That, to me is a poor dungeon. I just didn't care for the puzzles in it, and there were a lot of annoying things in those puzzles. Not annoying in that they're a good challenge, annoying as in just being annoying things that made it needlessly more toilsome. I guess they did have to do something since the dungeon would have been too short, but new rooms or something of that sort would have been better. I just really hope that they redo this dungeon and get rid of that giant fan room all together. I'd also love it if they got rid of the aspect part of it and the Earth temple, but I understand that may be asking for a bit much.
Keeping with the dungeons, the Forest Haven and Dragon Roost Cavern were both excellent dungeons. They were themed well, had good layouts, and solid, although a bit easy, puzzles. The Forsaken Fortress was a pretty solid two part dungeon. Tower of the Gods wasn't my favorite dungeon, but it is an ambitious dungeon that has a lot of good things about it. All four of those dungeons also have something else very good about them, they're themed very well. There is a great atmosphere for all of them. With the Earth Temple you could tell that they were going for a bit of a dark theme to it, but just really did not do a very good job of implementing it. I feel like the effort in the theme of it was only implemented with a half hearted effort. The same goes with the Wind Temple, which I don't even know what it was supposed to be themed like. These two temples really need to have some sort of personality given to them.
There are other things that I didn't necessarily care for too much, but those are things that are optional in the game. These are the things that I would really like to see changed. There is always a chance I could amend this if I realize that I've forgotten something, but like I said, these are the biggest things that stick out to me as things that should be changed with the Wii U remake (if you ask me).
No comments:
Post a Comment